Over the years, I’ve written 100+ essays on creativity and art making. These essays are where I explore my own struggles with working and living as an artist to further discover and develop myself and my art.
I enjoy breaking down the thought processes behind making art, philosophizing about how and why artists think and create, and making connections between life and art.
New essays are sent out through my Substack, I Might Could Do That, which has over 10,000 readers. Subscribe to access all my essays or you can read some favorite essays below.
Past Topics and Series
- Patching Together Your Artistic Style
- Draw Yourself, Discover Yourself
- Developing the Creative Voice
- On Drawing Hands
- Artistic Style Is Always Evolving
- How to Learn Imagination, Style, and Voice
Art + Mental Health
- Compassionate Goals for Artists
- When Art Falls Apart
- There is No Perfect
- Focus on Today
- Give Up Control
- Making Art for Your Mood
- The Investment Theory of Creativity
- What Makes Good Art?: 4 Theories for Judging Your Art
- Should Art Answer Questions or Ask Them?
- What Creative Season Are You In?
- How to Plan Your Art Projects Realistically (And Actually Finish Them!)
- How Self-Compassion Can Help You Finish Remarkably More Drawing Challenges
- How to Make Time for Your Art
- 6 Busy Artist Issues (and How to Bust ‘Em)
- Being a Slow Burn Tortoise in a World of Self-Improvement Hares
Advice from Other Artists
- 3 Things Björk Taught Me About Being an Artist
- How Dolly Parton Harnesses Artistic Influence and Inspiration
- 10 Rules for Artists by Sister Corita Kent
- 8 Lessons on Creative Block from Miyazaki
- 6 Rules for Making Art from George Orwell
- 10 Things I Learned About Art from Sol LeWitt
Improvement + Growth
- How to Improve Your Art (According to Plants)
- The Pursuit of Dreams
- The Pressure of Greatness
- The Artist’s Journey
- Inspiration vs. Imitation: How to Copy as an Artist
- How Creative Burnout is Actually a Powerful Tool
- Where Did My Creative Mojo Go?
- 4 Steps to Get Out of a Creative Funk
- The 5 Types of Creative Block (and How to Break Through Them)
Art + Emotions
- Turning Thoughts and Feelings into Art
- Art, Worth, and Living
- Writing to Process Emotions
- Making Art to Process Emotions
Art + Motherhood
- Sometimes I Make…
- What My Toddler Taught Me About Art
- My Art Taught Me…
- So You’re An Artist and a Mother?
- On Having a Miscarriage
- Why I Focus on Curiosity, Not Critique
- Rebellious Anatomy: Ditch the Rules!
- Which Creative Mode Are You In?
- When Trying Too Hard Backfires
- The Hidden Reason You Don’t Have Time to Draw
- How to Develop an Artistic Growth Mindset
- 4 Ways to Cultivate a Better Artistic Mindset
- Why Art is Taught Wrong (Mindset vs Technique)
- How to Overcome Imposter Syndrome as an Artist
- Never Good Enough
- The Secret to Building Artistic Confidence
Motivation + Inspiration
- I Don’t Want to Draw! (And What to Do About It)
- Why I Keep Making Art
- One Drawing at aTime
- It’s Never Too Late to Start Making Art
- How Ancient Symbolism Reignited My Inspiration to Draw Again
- On Keeping a Sketchbook
- How to Kick Inktober’s Booty This Year!